Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Book Necromancer

 
Image found here




For those of you who aren't fantasy geeks, a Necromancer is one that uses magic to raise the dead. I'm feeling a little bit like that today, me and my poor dead book. It's the book that I'd shopped with my agent. My trunk novel, so to speak.


I wrote a new opening chapter yesterday, just for kicks. And, I must say, I really like it a lot. It's an angle I'd never considered before, and it is my favorite opening yet. The idea popped into my head and I just couldn't help myself. My book Necromancer self kicked in.

Heck, I'm even considering entered it in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Competition (again).  I entered it last year after rewriting my whole novel for myself. I switched the book from third to first POV. I deleted several viewpoint characters. I took out chapters and added others. And I also embellished some elements to improve world building and improve the connection with my protagonist. However, after my book's resurrection and transformation, my pitch sucked so badly that I didn't even make it past the first round.

I do have a super cool critique group this time, so maybe my OA crit buddies can get my pitch all shiny and new. (Shrug) I have no expectations. I do this kind of editing self-torture once in a while, just for fun.

And, just so you all know, I understand how important it is not to dwell on past projects, to keep pressing forward and writing something new. I learned that the hard way. So don't worry. I'm just "playing" with my old project for a short time (a couple of weeks, maybe) then I'll dive back into my new project again.



So how many of you are book Necromancers? Do you have a WIP but periodically raise an old one? Is there one particular book that you use your undead magic skills on, or do you take turns with your book corpses when you bring them back to life?

8 comments:

Renae said...

I pulled out an old ms just lastnight and started toying around with it. It's hard to let go of something you love and have worked so hard on, but like you I'll be diving into something new again soon.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you know, I'd love to rewrite my first novel...I'd change most everything up except for the core theme. There's a viable story in there, I know it!

Matthew MacNish said...

I'd have to finish a novel before I could ever resurrect one (or raise it from the dead), but still, this is such an awesome idea, I LOVE it!

Michelle Gregory said...

yay!

Angelica R. Jackson said...

I feel like I've written my current novel three times--three complete overhauls. I can look back at previous versions and the seed is there, but it's grown up into three distinct plants.

Katrina L. Lantz said...

Hee hee. Love the title of this post. Confession: I printed out my entire science fiction novel to (someday) read through again and edit as I go. Now, though, I'm in the thick of my WIP and critiquing other people's work (an essential part of writing for me now), so who knows when I'll have time for the exhaustive work of raising the dead. But if I were to do it, I'd have to put a science fiction bent on the necromancy idea b/c the story I want to revive is in that genre. ;)

Erinn said...

That's an awesome idea. I've shelved books never to look at them again, but to bring it back to life, yeah, that might work.

Kell Andrews said...

Remember all the stories: the dead never come back as they were. In the case of old novels, that could be good.