Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Reading Is An Adventure

When you are young you can't go many places without your parents. Sure, there is the moment you climb on some shoes, unlock the door and toddle off down the drive with an apple in your hand,* but most adventures are out of reach. 

Except in books.

This is where our first adventures begin. We play hide and seek with Spot.



We can travel Around The World In Eighty Days.


Around the World in Eighty Days


Live in the jungle with Tarzan.

Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1)


 Or visit Moomin Valley.


Comet in Moominland (Moomintrolls)


As we grow up, our books grow with us. We travel, learn about the world. What we read can become a way to learn or escape.

A book can take you on an adventure anywhere you want to go. You just need to open the cover to begin.

Where will you go today when you read?

*Yes that was me. My mum tells me I was found at the end of the road by our neighbour, brought home and a deadbolt was put on the door. It did not stop my adventures, but that's another story :)

3 comments:

Katrina L. Lantz said...

Cute story! On my son's third birthday, he woke up from his nap and thought I was outside, so he went outside and looked for me. One of the scariest days of my life, but it was pretty short-lived. We have rules about the front door now. :)

Books are great (and far less fatal) adventures for kids. My boys both bring me books to read to them and like to talk about the adventures of the characters. I hope to foster that love of reading through their whole lives. We need more boy readers.

erica and christy said...

Great, fun post!! I once picked up a toddler in the middle of the road wearing only a diaper. Luckily, he looked familiar (we're in a really small town) and I thought I knew who he was - by the time I got to his house, his brother was out on the street frantically screaming his name. Yikes!!
erica

Amparo Ortiz said...

Oh, you rebellious woman, you! Is it irresponsible to say I heart you even more for doing that??? *slaps wrist*

Great post! I love picturing myself in a ton of different scenarios when I read. Adventures rule. Nuff said.