Friday, September 20, 2013

Open Thread Day: What Are Your "Sorkinisms?"

If you've ever watched more than one of snappy-dialogue-enthusiast Aaron Sorkin's works in close proximity, I'll bet you've noticed something... familiar.


Well, it's not really stealing if you're stealing from yourself, I guess.

(I should clarify that I am a gigantic West Wing fan. I tease because I love!)

But I can't judge Sorkin too harshly. How many times have I looked at a past work of mine and noticed a line of dialogue that's suspiciously similar to something in my new WIP? As in, it's word-for-word the same in both projects?

We all have our signatures as writers - themes we're fascinated with and love to explore from different angles, character dynamics we can't get enough of, or a particularly distinctive turn of phrase that keeps popping up in different situations. I know for me, in particular, if I somehow managed to write a story without themes of power and powerlessness, I would throw myself a parade. (Coincidentally, in at least two different stories, my protagonist has promised herself that if she somehow manages not to [plot-specific thing here], she will throw herself a parade. There are a lot of parades going on over here, apparently.)

So over to you, OAers. What are your "Sorkinisms?"

2 comments:

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

Wow. I'm only a minute in, and that's crazy! (Watching the rest *after* more coffee.) I've noticed two things that are repeated in each book (or "series" I write, I should say): 1) One popular phrase is always quoted and 2) Someone always ends up mentioning hide and seek!

Anonymous said...

I love this! So glad to know I am not the only one who does this. (And so happy to be able to legitimately compare myself to the great Aaron Sorkin! HA!)

Thanks so much for sharing!