Saturday, November 16, 2013

Evolution of a Snowman

In honor of the first real snow of the season, I'm re-posting this from my personal blog. It was originally posted in January 2011. Enjoy! :)

Our family moved from Arizona to Idaho at the beginning of last year, so my kids don't have a lot of experience with snow. As a result, they haven't built many snowmen.  ßThis is still true in 2013.

We came up a several years ago (2006, I think) to visit family and that was my kids' first real experience with snow. This was their first snowman:


It wasn't really their fault this one turned out so sad since the snow didn't want to stick together, but still, he looked like he was already melting before they even finished. Poor thing.

When we moved here, I thought the kids would be all excited to get out there and make some awesome snowmen, but apparently, it's cold outside when it snows, so they resisted. Then we had the great blizzard of Nov 2010 (not as blizzardy as they made it sound like it would be) and since we were on break, the kids finally attempted another snowman.

They worked on it for quite a while, so I thought for sure this one was going to be huge. I promised not to look until they were done. My patience was rewarded with this:


Not bad, though it looks more like a cake than a snowman. I'm sorry, snowwoman. And my daughter wasn't very happy with me when I started laughing. But it was so not what I was expecting and sometimes, the laughter just can't be controlled.

So when the response to snowman #1 was less than satisfactory, they set out the next day to make another one. This was the result:


And so begins the tale of the girlfriend snowwoman and the boyfriend snowman, as told by my 11-year-old daughter. The boyfriend (on the left) had to go out for some reason in a terrible snowstorm. It was so bad it buried him up to his neck. His girlfriend went looking for him and when she found him, she ran in circles, waving her hands around, screaming, "Help! Help!" And when no one came to help, she made a sign. And she lost her scarf.

Rough day.

As far as I know, the only help they got was our Great Dane eating their noses. Apparently, he likes carrots.

Have a great weekend, everyone! :)

1 comment:

Angelica R. Jackson said...

Haha, thanks for sharing the snowpeople. Our heater just turned on this morning, so it's finally starting to cool here.