Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Tuesday Museday is Surprised

I like that quote from Robert Frost that says, "No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise for the writer, no surprise for the reader." Today I want to talk about surprises and how they can help you as a writer.

They're surprised. Are you?


I LOVE when a book surprises me. When I fully expect something to happen, or think I know who the bad guy is, but then the author zigs where I expected them to zag? It's like bookworm nirvana.

How can you do the same for your readers? I like the idea of listing out all kinds of possible outcomes of a choice, or actions for a character to take, or whatever. See which ones you'd think people would anticipate, and which ones would surprise them.

What are your best tips for creating surprises in your work?

Do you need help with your query letter? Let me know in the comments! I will reply to a few comments to select winners.

3 comments:

Janet said...

I love the idea of turning off the inner editor and listing possibilities, just to see what happens. I have no trouble getting characters into a Black Moment crisis. Getting them out is where I hit a wall :)

Gabriele Goldstone said...

So true. Predictable=boring. I want to let my characters tell their story. Doesn't always happen, but when it does, I'm awed. Kind of like raising kids. Have to stop being controlling.

Shanika L. Bynum said...

I Would love help with my query!